We at Huruma HOPE, International want to thank each of you for your continued and faithful support throughout 2019. Thank you for every prayer, donation, thought and your mentions to your loved ones and friends of our ministry. In 2019 many goals were accomplished because of you, our staff and our students. Here is a list of some of those accomplishments:
- Installed new latrines for students and bathroom for teachers in Dec. 2018. The 2019 students and teachers used them for the first time. The Nairobi Ministry of Education rated them the best bathrooms for any school in the Nairobi settlements.
- All students received new shoes and socks in January 2019 through North Albany Community Church VBS offering
- Added a new Grade 3 class and teacher for 20 new students along with new desks
- Grade 3 tested highest in reading and English of all Nairobi settlement schools.
- Continued to provide salaries for Head Teacher, 5 teachers and 2 cooks.
- Upgraded all education materials and textbooks to meet the new 2019 Nairobi Ministry Education requirements. This meant teachers were required to attend training for use of the new materials which HOPE paid for their expenses.
- Continue to provide 2 daily meals that include breakfast and lunch that includes eggs, vegetables, fruit and nutri-porridge
- In November students received a Christmas tote containing 2 pair of socks, daily vitamins and 2 pair underwear provided by NACC VBS offering & a dress for girls/cargo shorts for boys, a card from their sponsor and hand decorated T-Shirt by North Albany Comm. Church VBS kids
- Provided over 200 reading books to start a library.
- Sent a team of six in November to participate in Pre-Primary 2 Graduation, Christmas program and present a 4-day VBS program that included games, music, crafts, Bible story skit and snacks.
- Our first 4 High School scholarship students graduated with two qualifying to go onto public university.
- Hired a Grade 4 teacher and purchased desks, books and supplies to start a new Grade 4 class that began January 20, 2020.
- Retrofitted the main Educational block of 4 classrooms with steel beams to meet safety standards set by Nairobi Ministry of Education and avoided a shutdown of the school. This was due to special giving in December.
- Most importantly, our students have gained confidence in themselves, are healthy, happy, full of joy and very loving toward one another and others. Through our Head Teacher and their teachers they have learned how much God loves them.
Again, we thank you for your unwavering support and look forward to what God will accomplish through HOPE Huruma School in 2020.